Wednesday, March 27, 2013

re-up'd: Sonic Youth - Hold That Tiger [1987]


Quick, here's a Sonic Youth boot some of you maybe don't have. Recorded at the Metro in Chicago on October 14, 1987. Thanks to quality mic-placement, this is some real clanging, articulately shredded-up EVOL and Sister material from what is maybe my favorite period of this band. People forget Sonic Youth was a punk band, and this gig demonstrates it. The version of 'Death Valley '69' rages so hard that you forget it's missing Lydia Lunch's vocal part. Following a soaring version of 'Pacific Coast Highway' is a Ramones coverset encore.

The Japanese text on the cover inexplicably reads 'my mother went shopping.' Perhaps the band was studying up for their semi-upcoming 1988 tour of Japan.


SY concert archive entry for this gig
"I have no desire to fuck Jessica Hahn but I would like to kill Jim Bakker"

9 comments:

  1. Happy to say this was the first SY album I ever purchased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite bands at their peak & one I've never listened to, thanks! Great blog you got here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog......just found you. Great Sonic Youth show too.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog and equally just realised I don't have any SY boots... plenty of official releases (Sister is still my favourite) so this is very welcome... thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love it if you re-upped this'n. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you please re-up? I'm dying to hear this!

    ReplyDelete